Sleep Your Way to Acne Free Skin

Welcome to another Quick and Easy Adult Acne tips.

As adults, we frequently skip our sleep at night due to high workload and demand. Of course we know that this is a bad habit, but when you can't finish your job you really don't have much choice isn't it?

Staying up late at night poses a few problems that can cause your acne to be so persistent and stubborn.

My Personal Story about Sleep and Acne:

When I was a law student a few years back, I often find that the zits would pop up here and there a day or two after I got just a few hours of sleep per night. Sure enough, this was caused by the insufficient sleep that I was getting.

Things became really obvious to me when I repeatedly discovered that my face was literally covered with acne when I was not getting 8 hours of sleep per night.

Here are a few reasons why getting good quality sleep can help get rid of your acne:

  1. Your skin repairs itself when you are sleeping. This is the same for every organ and part of your body. Tissues only get repaired when we are deeply asleep. If you want your body to function at optimum levels, you will want to MAKE SURE THAT YOU GET THAT 8 HOURS OF SLEEP EVERY NIGHT! A good night sleep will help cure your acne for the affected areas get repaired quickly with good sleep.
  2. There are plenty of problems that can be caused by poor sleeping habits.
  3. If you are not getting quality sleep every night, your immune system will get affected and start deteriorating like crazy. I have read from many places that a consistent poor sleeping habit will cut your immune system down by 50%.
  4. To further illustrate this point, whenever we are not getting enough sleep per night, the bugs and illnesses and acne occur more frequently.
  5. A good night sleep also removes stress and keeps your mind calm and relaxed. You will not get irritated and stressed as easily due to mishaps and heavy workload. As discussed in another post, stress can directly worsen your acne condition.
  6. Getting enough sleep prevents hormonal imbalance that can lead to the formation of acne under your skin.
Now that we have covered the WHY's of getting enough sleep to get rid of acne, here's the HOW TO part.
  • Improve your sleep hygiene. By that I mean, you should make your bedroom a great place to sleep in. No computer, laptop, TV, excessive lights and noise should be allowed in your bedroom during your sleeping time.
  • Get a comfy pillow and bed that provides good support and comfort.
  • Cut down the consumption of coffee to a maximum of 2 cups per day. Any more than that, in my case, I find that I could never sleep soundly at night. I don't know about you, but 2 cups of coffee are pretty much the limit for me. Remember that coffee is a stimulant that increases the production of hormones responsible for the formation of acne.
  • Remove alcohol consumption as well. Alcohol actually zaps vital nutrients from your body and causes unhealthy and insufficient sleeps.